Skip to main content

IF YOU MUST BE GREAT...



 
1. DON’T DEPEND ON THE GRADE

“Go to school, read hard, come out with a good grade and you will secure a good job and would live the kind of life you want”… this is a common phrase sang in the ears of the young one always, my parents told me same too. But in the present day in this part of the world, it has failed, and not just that it failed, it has crashed a lot of lives especially those who held to that kind of philosophy in life. Many people have gotten the good grades but still don’t know their bearings in life. Some have gotten the good paycheck, yet are not happy with their lives. How far you go in life has nothing to do with your grades. I would like you to pause and give this a thought.

Are all those unemployed today, people with low grades or people without certificates?

All those living meaningful life who also have recorded great success in their lives, are they graduates of one prestigious university with good grades?

The belief that schools can give you a better life has been the reason many are disappointed today especially when they have toiled all night to get extra certificates and yet have nothing to show irrespective. My pastor would always say, “Grades don’t make you but grace does”. If you think grades and schools are the major things you need to go far in life, to record success, then I’m very sorry to say that you are building a life of failure for yourself. You might not make the best of grades in school, but make sure you make the best out of your life using every opportunity God has made available to you. You might not make a first class in school but make sure you make a first class in life.

When I was much younger in my elementary school days, there was this song we sang regularly at the assembly ground when marching to our classes after the headmaster has addressed us, and it goes like this;

  “Parent listen to your children…… children!

   We are the leaders of tomorrow……tomorrow!

Try and pay our school fees; to give us a sound education”

It’s a nice song, but a lot of parents have been struck with amazement when they realized, that they have paid the school fees, the children have been schooled, yet nothing has changed in their life or in the nation. In fact you have to understand that schooling is not the same as education. You can be schooled yet remain uneducated. It’s so unfortunate that when you say someone is an illiterate, what comes to the mind of many concerning such a person is “…he didn’t go to school”. You can be an uninformed person with a PhD.  It’s not about what is taught in the classrooms. Mark Twain once said “I never let schooling interfere with my education”. This is because real education is different from schooling.

 My friend! Greatness goes far beyond just obtaining a certificate.  No nation was built by the president and ministers or senators alone. Every act of nation building was a joint effort of every citizen. A father who fails to give his child the proper training needed is contributing to the problem of the nation. A  parent who fails to caution the child when he steals little things in the house or tell little lies, is in turn making things difficult for the police officers in the future. When a father pays his way through for his child to gain a university admission even when he knows the child is meant to reseat an examination, he is only contributing to the numerous problems of the nation that is displayed on national television daily. When a child lacks morals and grows up that way to do unimaginable evil things, people begin to blame the government. No! That’s not true. Don’t blame the government. It wasn’t the government that gave birth to him. Nation building is not for presidents but for all of us.

No one is responsible for where you are. You just have to come to terms with the fact that you are responsible for your life, not the government or even your parent. When you have a vision, you become a moving train; you have direction. No one dares to stop a moving train. Men like Fela Durotoye are affecting our nation today, impacting into our youth incredible thoughts and dreams; not because the government did not give them a job. They had a vision. Go back and re evaluate your life. John Lennon said that “you won’t get anything except you have the vision to magnet it”.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hold On...

Our experiences in life changes just like the weather conditions. At different times we are faced with either pleasurable or harrowing conditions. Sometimes we experience heat-warming success, at other times we experience heart-rending  failures. Sometimes there is much joy and laughter, at other times there is much sorrow and sighing. Sometimes we bubble with life and health, other times we are over taken by sickness. Sometimes we enjoy prosperity with plenty, other times we endure lack and hunger. A lot of persons change with their changing circumstances. When the going gets good, they are elated and highly spirited, but when they get hit by an ugly circumstance, everything goes down completely. They lose the glee and gladness they once had when everything was favorable to them.  Most Christians do same. They love and obey God, go to church and do all manner of religious activities when things are all rosy, when there are no challenges, and turn against Him when things get ro

LETTER TO MY TEENAGE BOY AND GIRL

My young boy and girl, you should make it a market of your time to discover the origin of love and   friendship, because it is only a mad man who eats without seeing the face of what he or she is eating. Love and friendship comes from the most high God. He is the inventor. His intention for creating love and friendship is to help mankind. God invented love when he realized that men cannot be at peace without his love being with them. My young boy and girl, what you feel for the opposite sex is not love because love is far bigger than mere feelings. At this sensitive point in your life, think of hoe to build stronger relationship not how to make love; LOVE is created through the act of relationship. Love is developed through friendship. My little girl, permit me to also say that sex is not a form of payment for someone loving you or doing something for you. There are many of your pseudo friends whose mindset and thought is to have sex with someone that they helped throug

SOMEONES VIP

Firstly I want to say a very big thank you to all my wonderful readers, those who sent me mails to encourage my works and all those who call. You all have been wonderful and I must say that you inspire me too.   I would love to share a story with us, it got me thinking and also changed something in my life so I know it’s worth sharing. “I had an experience recently that made me feel completely invisible. I flew to Nashville to surprise my son Josh at his college. When I arrived, I made my way with my printed reservation to the rental car clerk. I handed over the reservation, and the clerk said, “Oh, we are sorry, but we gave away your car”. What do you mean you gave away my car?” I replied, “I have a reservation!”  He informed me that it was CMA (Country Music Awards) week, and they were really busy with lots of important people coming through. They didn’t have any cars left, but I would get the next car that came in. he went on to say “you just picked a really wrong time to com